GOOGLE EARTH computer crashes

johnpalmer 08:27 14 May 2006

I have just bought a new computer from Dell (Dimension 9150)running Windows XP SP2 on Pentium 4 3.00 GHz processor, 160Gb Hard Drive, and 2Gb Ram.

Unlike my previous old Mesh with AMD 1.4 GHz processor, the computer crashes after about 5 minutes when using Google Earth.

I have to re-boot by holding down the on button.

How can this be.

Anyone got any ideas.

I keep all my software items regularly updated, and clean out caches etc, and defrag.

johnpalmer 08:27 14 May 2006

I forgot to say that I am also on BT Broadband

johnpalmer 08:30 14 May 2006

I also have a Dell Laptop which runs Google Earth perfectly

gudgulf 10:41 14 May 2006

What graphics card have you got?

If it is just the basic Intel onboard graphics try running Google Earth in Direct 3D instead of the default OpenGL.

"Intel 3D graphics machines can use the default OpenGL version, but work better in DirectX (choose Start > Programs > Google Earth > Start Google Earth in DirectX" (from click here answer number 5)

johnpalmer 11:52 14 May 2006

Dear gudgulf, I will try that when I get home, but the answer to your question re what graphics card is fitted, I have a 128mb ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory.

Good or Bad ?

gudgulf 12:26 14 May 2006

Your graphics card "should" be ok.....but I know that OpenGL is a weak feature of ATI cards,so trying DirectX would be a good idea anyway.

Also make sure you have the latest drivers from ATI

click here

Or....

.....I tend to use alternative drivers from the modding community.......Omega drivers are tweaked official ATI drivers and often provide a few fixes over and above the standard drivers.In particular they often provide smoother running on older or more basic graphics cards such as yours.If you want to try them click here

To install just remove the Catalyst control centre in Add/Remove Programs and then install the Omega drivers over the top of the existing ones.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires