Google Earth

heavymetalkid 00:47 30 Jan 2006

Any Google Earth experts around? I keep reading that you can zoom right in and see your own house. I certainly can't get anything like that clarity. When I insert my full postal address, the globe revolves, stops over the UK and descends. When it finally stops I can't even really make out any recognisable features....it could be anywhere. If I try to move in, it just distorts. Can anyone advise?

Forum Editor 00:56 30 Jan 2006

to your graphics card and/or display settings. That said, even if you have the best hardware going you won't get more detail than is in the satellite image, and the images released for public access are nowhere near the limit of the cameras used. The really good images are reserved for the US military.

I can certainly see the cars in my driveway though.

007al 01:18 30 Jan 2006

I cant believe how good that is! Just tried it,and havent got my head round it all yet.Is there a way of getting live transmission?The picture i see,is daylight,and i can even see my washing!

User-394903 01:24 30 Jan 2006

I have exactly the same as heavymetalkid, yet people I know can get crystal clear images, i.e. garden shed etc.

007al 01:25 30 Jan 2006

In the picture im looking at,its looks like summertime.Someones even had a pool built that i didnt know about

007al 01:29 30 Jan 2006

Wonder if i can use this as proof of the amount of disabled badged cars blocking pathways.There are 16 i can count.Im really sounding like my neighbour now!

stlucia 06:45 30 Jan 2006

Some (many?) locations are not photographed in as much detail as others. The image of my town, for instance, is rubbish -- I can't even see streets and individual houses -- whereas if I go just outside town I can distinguish every blade of grass (almost ;-) ).

howard63 07:41 30 Jan 2006

it comes down to how important the Americans think an area is. Look at around a big airport [Gatwick as an example] and you can even identify the cars outside houses. Other areas are just blobs of colour. At the moment I am running an old Pentium 3/450 which is actually below the minimum stated requirement of the prog and can see the cars etc. Try clicking on Nelson's Column for real detail.

Monoux 08:02 30 Jan 2006

see also click here

hzhzhz 08:26 30 Jan 2006

26-44-55 x 80-4-28

Ivor_Monkey 09:12 30 Jan 2006

The image detail can vary dramaitcally depending upon whic side of the street you are. Look at Epsom. But in my town, the detail is very good. See garden furniture, small trailer and whether the hedge was recently cut. You can also work out time and date the image was taken!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?