Google Chromecast

Ben43 17:31 23 Aug 2014
Answered

Can someone briefly explain what this piece of kit actually does in simple language I have read reviews etc but I am obviously too long in the tooth to understand. My TV has no HDMI socket or a USB port. Does this mean I cannot use it on my TV ? Can I use it on my computer through the USB port ? I'm a sad old person who needs help !!

onthelimit1 17:58 23 Aug 2014

You have to have an HDMI port. The Chromecast connects to your wireless router. You choose a programme to watch on, say iplayer by using an iphone app to control the Chromecast. It's very limited in terms of TV providers who have signed up to transmit through it at the moment.

I bought one three months ago and have used it once to catchup on a prog on BBC iplayer..

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:05 23 Aug 2014
Answer

My TV has no HDMI socket or a USB port. Does this mean I cannot use it on my TV ?

Yes you cannot use it

Can I use it on my computer through the USB port ?

No. If your TV had a VGA port you could connect the laptop directly to the TV and use the laptop to watch catch up TV on the TV

You could still use the laptop to watch catch up TV (BBCiPlayer etc.) but it means watching on the laptop screen.

Chromecast is not for you at the moment.

Ben43 11:10 27 Aug 2014

Thanks guys I think you are absolutely right. I won't bother seemed like a good idea at the time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?