google chrome virus?

robzwolf 20:30 12 Oct 2010

i downloaded google chrome recently and i love it.

however, i think it has been infected by a virus because suddenly every link I click on also opens an advert (the url is an IP address [e.g. click here]), some pages refuse to load, the internet has overall gone VERY slow and then a page seems to react as a picture (nothing can be clicked on).

anyone got any ideas or how to get rid of this virus?

robzwolf 22:33 12 Oct 2010

where can i download those 2 programs?

i have more information:

i often get AVG flagging up a trojan or exploit etc in google chrome (i dont visit dodgy sites!)

Ashrich 22:48 12 Oct 2010

Did you copy the IP address correctly , you can't have a 3rd octet with a number as high as 562 ?

If you DID make a typo , and the 3rd octet is 62 , that traces back to Packard Bell ..... actually adsl.66.125.62.57.lsan03.pacbell.net . Putting 52 in place of 62 get the same result , are you using a Packard Bell by any chance ? Does the problem affect any other browser ?

Ashley

Ashrich 22:52 12 Oct 2010

Made the wrong assumption there , not Packard Bell , but Pacific Bell click here , my mistake , still the url doesn't help much , sorry .

Ashley

kristain 08:15 13 Oct 2010

Run a full scan. It's spyware issue on your pc.

click here

robzwolf 16:36 13 Oct 2010

i just made up that ip, here is a real one: click here (google chrome also tells me it cant find it)

also neither of the=ose prorgam links work, the malware bytes one can't even find the homepage and the sas one can't find the download link (oops! google chrome could not find .......)

im starting to get really annoyed now...

robzwolf 16:38 13 Oct 2010

also not even that pacific bell link works! i think my browser is very badly infected...

Ashrich 23:48 13 Oct 2010

Check the DNS settings on your PC ( control panel / Network / right click on your network connection and select " properties " double click on "TCP/IP" and look at the DNS settings , it should say " Obtain DNS server addresses automatically " if it doesn't tick the box to make it do so . I have also read that this can also infiltrate DNS settings in a router , but that I am not too sure of .

The IP address you have given this time traces back to a company called Nlayer Communications , although they could be compromised as well .

Ashley

robzwolf 09:56 14 Oct 2010

also i think the virus infected mozilla firefox (which i used to use). i switched to google chrome, loved it, and a few weeks later BAM the virus comes and ruins google chrome as well :@

birdface 12:56 14 Oct 2010

How to Remove the Google Redirect Virus - TDSS rootkit
By Donna Buenaventura for Brighthub

TDL3 Rootkit has caused the Google redirect virus infection. A person who is using Google as a home page or search engine is redirected to visiting unwanted websites. Google redirect virus removal is detailed in this article.
read more

in a nutshell:

suggested programs:

- EMSISOFT antimalware
- MalwareByte's AntiMalware
- SuperAntispyware free

suggested specialized free removal tool

# Win32/Olmarik Removal tool by ESET
# TDSSKiller by Kaspersky Labs.
# Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool by Microsoft
# BlackLight by F-Secure
# Stinger by McAfee
# CureIt! by Dr.Web.

I'd add HitMan Pro 3.5.6
and Norman TDSS Cleaner

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone