Google Chrome- hardware not being supported?

spuds 14:38 11 Apr 2014
Answered

Never had this problem before, and I wonder if its anything to do with the support for Microsoft XP now ceasing.

On the computer that I run with XP, I attempted to open the usual Google Chrome browser this morning, but was met with a message stating that Google Chrome no longer supported the hardware on the computer. I found this very strange, because no changes have been made to the computer, except the support for XP.

With the error message came a link to Google for further advice. All the suggestions from the link are in compliance to the hardware installed.

Any ideas of what might be the problem, because it left me rather baffled.

Here's the error message advice link from Google click here

Ian in Northampton 14:52 11 Apr 2014

I think I'd 99% knock on the head the idea that it might be anything to do with the end of support for XP. No more support for XP is, IMHO, very unlikely to mean that that which did work, no longer works. In any event, your message is about hardware, not software/operating systems. Now, I have heard rumours that Chrome will soon stop supporting 32-bit environments, and also that it will discontinue support for XP in 2015 - but I don't think either of those is relevant in your case. That doesn't help solve the problem, I know, but it seems a few people out there have experienced it - and I couldn't find anyone who's solved it...

wiz-king 15:18 11 Apr 2014

May be related to this post but no help!

spuds 16:09 11 Apr 2014
Answer

Thanks guys, it look like I will just need to keep an eye on things, and see if the internet comes up with any clear answers later.

Firefox 28.0 and Internet Explorer 8 are working fine, just Google Chrome that appears to have the problem?.

rdave13 19:46 11 Apr 2014

spuds , I know you've resolved the thread but out of curiosity I booted up my XP netbook (tiny atom CPU) and Chrome was hammering the CPU twice. Never used to. So just disabled Automatic updates in services and that helped. Going via task manager I also stopped start-up.exe . Just about to reboot and daughter has commandeered the netbook so can't follow up for now :( Stopping the start-up.exe dropped the CPU usage dramatically but I suppose it will restart on bootup?

Look at all your services and check out what you need or not. Might be something there pertaining to your other problem?

BT 08:04 12 Apr 2014

Still working OK on my HP Desktop with XP.

One thing I have been getting recently though both on the XP desktop (32bit) and the Win7 laptop (64bit) is a 'Pages not Responding' box which sometimes goes away on its own or sometimes needs the 'Wait' button to be pressed. This can't be a Broadband speed problem as I get 35-40mbs fairly consistently.

spuds 10:48 12 Apr 2014

rdave13 - BT

Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I have tried the other computer with XP operating system and Google Chrome a few moments ago, and I am still getting the error message that the hardware is not supported.

On trying the Google Chrome browser after the message, it seems to work?.

I'll just need to keep my eye on the situation, and see if anything further happens?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?