Google Ads

johndrew 14:09 09 Feb 2006

Having just updated to Firefox 1.5, I find I have now gained an additional nuisance in the shape of `Ads By Goooogle`.

Is there any way of suppressing these as they are not only in the right margin but infringe on the page I`m attempting to read. I didn`t have this problem with version 1.0.

Skyver 14:37 09 Feb 2006

Don't know why it's changed but try the Customise Google extension.

ade.h 14:48 09 Feb 2006

Firstly, I must apologise to the power-that-be for suggesting this, but here it is:

Install Adblock.

Then, instead of right-clicking on the banner, just go to Adblock's prefs and add this string:

click here

You have to do it this way, because each page's banner has a unique URL. You could be right-clicking all day long and never actually block them!

NOTE: Don't try the "allow images from originating site only" option in Firefox's prefs, because this does not work on i-frames.

johndrew 17:13 09 Feb 2006

Skyver

Where do I find the `Customise Google extension`?

ade.h

I have downloaded/installed Adblock. I`m presuming you suggest I add `Nothing to see here!` (from your link)in the Prefs, am I correct?

Skyver 17:21 09 Feb 2006

Try ade.h's solution first - simpler in the end. Right click the Adblock text in the bottom right of your Firefox window, select Preferences, type the text into the `add new filter` box, click Done.

Customise Google;
click here

ade.h 17:36 09 Feb 2006

Not exactly, John.

In the Adblock prefs, in the box for entering a new string, pop in the above URL that has, inevitably, turned into a hyperlink. That way, all extensions of this parent URL will be blocked.

johndrew 19:38 09 Feb 2006

I put the URL in and it had an immediate effect - no more ads.

Another lesson learned. Hope I can remember all these or I will be printing out a lot of my postings!!!

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?