Googla ads on Firefox Homepage

thumbscrew 23:01 31 May 2014

A new ad has appeared on my FF Homepage, it's flashing away and informs me that my PCs performance is poor and invites me to click for more information. Clicking on a small arrow at the top informs me it's a Google ad and to remove it there's an uninstall process. However when I follow it a message appears telling me it can't proceed because my cookies aren't enabled...trouble i, they are enabled so I find myself stuck. Can anyone advise and by the way I have Adblock installed and it's working.

rdave13 23:35 31 May 2014

Change your homepage.

thumbscrew 23:37 31 May 2014

Thanks jock1e I've only got Google update there that's all. Updated MWB earlier to 20.2.1012 and ran a clear scan then.

rdave13 23:43 31 May 2014

If you don't use Chrome why have Google update? Remove it via programs and features. Assuming you're not using Google toolbar.

thumbscrew 23:50 31 May 2014

Thanks rdave, actually I do use Chrome from time to time, having said that how would removing the update stop the ad?

rdave13 00:03 01 Jun 2014

It won't if you use Chrome.

thumbscrew 00:08 01 Jun 2014

I've only got the Google update showing in FF, just disabled it but the ad's still there.

rdave13 00:14 01 Jun 2014

Change your home page to click here programs and features to what is installed.

Three things I like about Google is the mail service, YouTube and the fantastic search engine.

The rest I dislike completely.

But (as they say) it is my humble opinion only.

Check

rdave13 00:16 01 Jun 2014

I knew the post would be mangled. "Check" should be in front of programs and features to what is installed. just after the link.

thumbscrew 00:18 01 Jun 2014

Thanks rdave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache