Good web-design software?

simon_lambert 19:21 11 Feb 2007

I have MS Front Page (2003), but i'm not sure how it compares to others on the market. Are there any better ones out there? (Please bear in mind I am a student on VERY limited funds, so free ones are useful) , Thanks

adamcoppard 19:30 11 Feb 2007

ur Evrsoft 2006. Top Stlye Lite, Nvu, Notepad 2 (seriourlsy) HTML-Kit. Paint.net or Artweaver. Thats all your tools apart from Firefox, Opera or Swift

steve263000 09:13 12 Feb 2007

I have Front page 2003, and I have tried others and gone back to that time and again. Without doubt it is amongst the best in the business.

Z1100 00:41 13 Feb 2007

And what features are on your must have list?

Hanx!
K.

HighTower 13:09 13 Feb 2007

I've heard that Web Expression only supports Microsoft server technology so it would be difficult to develop in PHP / mySQL though you would be fine for normal HTML and ASP / .net etc.

If this is incorrect I'm sure a forum member will put me straight!

rotormota 19:20 13 Feb 2007

I have used Serif WebPlus 9 & now 10 to create & maintain my websites. Here's one: click here

HighTower 23:56 13 Feb 2007

Unfortunately I may be right (not often I say that!). Here's a quote from a well known Web Mag:

"As you'd expect, Expression Web loves ASP.NET, but it doesn't support alternatives such as PHP or JSP. Microsoft may have got the message about CSS and standards, but it's focus on its own platform at the expense of others suggests that old habits die hard."

.net magazine, March 07

My apologies also if this is off topic, though it is relevant to the question of choosing a web development tool, and if it is true then it's a massive oversight on behalf of Microsoft!

Trance-Addict 02:09 28 Feb 2007

Use MS Notepad...

Its free, more fun, and you get a great sense of achievement when the site is completed!

IClaudio 22:35 28 Feb 2007

....? How so? It's free, yes, but so is the beta of Web Expression. A great sense of achievement, possibly, but then you will when you have pushed a washing machine up Everest.

Sorry, but there is just no need to use Notepad to build a website.

gibbs1984 11:42 01 Mar 2007

I have to agree with IClaudio, I find it harder to use notepad because there's no colour difference between the different tags/elements. It all seems to merge in together when looking at it, it's a big strain on the eyes.

I use Dreamweaver but only use the code section, I like to do the markup by hand, it just makes it easier to view what your writing.

Griffon 23:03 03 Mar 2007

I'm not one of those people who usually knock Microsoft but whoever wrote Front Page should be taken outside and shot. I build websites in Dreamweaver but occassionally I help people who use Front Page. I'm just astonished how bad front page is. It's counter intuitive and things that DW just does really easily, FP makes a mountain out of. It's a great pity because FP is very often used by people who are relatively inexperienced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?