Good third-party backup program please ?

Antonio Machado 02:36 26 Dec 2008

Hola amigos PC lovers !

I am reading the book "Windows XP for dummies" which is helping me a lot to understand and operate my PC.

On page 236 I read: "Backing up your data: Designed for experienced users, Windos XP's bare-bones Backup program has no frills and offers very little help along the way. To keep your data really safe ask your computer retailer to recommend you a third-party backup program that is both more dependable and easier to use".

So my question to you is: which third-party backup program do you recommend me ? I have a Precision DELL 370 PC, one internal Hard Drive 500 GB and one external Hard Drive 500 GB, 4 GB of RAM, Intel (R) Pentium (R) 4 CPU 3.00 GHz, Microsoft XP Professional Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

Your suggestions will be highly appreciated, thanks in advance, best, Antonio.

hastelloy 03:09 26 Dec 2008

worth every penny

rawprawn 08:06 26 Dec 2008

I agree click here
You don't really need the latest True Image 11 is fine.

skidzy 08:47 26 Dec 2008

Acronis True Image is one of the best if not the best you could use as said above.

Little bit of advice in this thread regarding the backup strategy. click here

laurie53 09:07 26 Dec 2008

If I could slip an allied query into Antonio's thread.

I use`the free version of Acronis and it's never let me down yet.

Is it worth going for the fully subscribed version?

rawprawn 09:28 26 Dec 2008

laurie53, where can you get the free version?

Technotiger 10:00 26 Dec 2008

Just Google 'Acronis Free Version'

rawprawn 10:08 26 Dec 2008

Good morning Technotiger, now why didn't I think of that ;)

johndrew 10:42 26 Dec 2008

Problem with the Free version is the offer has expired. Having said that, it was Version 7 which will be no good for Vista.

I would strongly recommend ATI to anyone as it is reliable, has so many features of value and has extremely good support. It is also very simple to use - even for those with little technical know how.

Yes, it is definitely worth the money in my opinion.

Miké 11:07 26 Dec 2008

There is a free version of Acronis, providing you have a Seagate or Maxtor hdd that is (it wont work otherwise) click here

Stuartli 11:29 26 Dec 2008

Karen Kenworthy's freeware software is highly regarded - this is her backup offering:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone