Good signal within house but unable to connect.

Nixie1985 20:19 24 Jul 2006

Ive recntly connected my PC to a wireless network where mine is the main computer, and I have attempted to connect other computers to the network and they register that a network is there and the signal is good but they then say "limited or no connectivity". What do I do? Im very new to computers. Thank you

mgmcc 20:41 24 Jul 2006

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

The "Limited or No Connectivity" indication means that the adapter hasn't been able to get its IP address from the router. Windows has allocated a default "169.254" address which won't let you access the router and get online. "Connecting", as above should resolve this.

Nixie1985 23:00 25 Jul 2006

Ive gone through the connection again and did what you said but it is still coming up no connectivity.

The IPS address is the windows default one and does not change.

ade.h 23:14 25 Jul 2006

Don't think of a routed network - wireless or otherwise - as having a "main" client; all clients are totally equal.

What do you mean by "The IPS [IP] address is the windows default one and does not change"? Windows doesn't have an IP of its own.

I think we need to be looking at DHCP - namely, whether the router's DHCP server is functioning and whether the problem clients have their DHCP service - and certain other network-related services - running.

Nixie1985 23:23 25 Jul 2006

In an earlier post it says that windows allocates a default IP address and thats the IP I have. My computer is connected to the router and im online with my pc using it but other the other computers can not connect.

mgmcc 08:40 26 Jul 2006

<<< In an earlier post it says that windows allocates a default IP address and thats the IP I have. >>>

Perhaps I should have worded it differently by saying that Windows defaults to allocating a "169.254" address, rather than calling it a default 169.254 address. ;)

This may be a silly question, but you do actually have a *ROUTER* and not a "Wireless Access Point" plugged into an NTL/Telewest Cable Modem to provide a single computer with wireless access?

Nixie1985 12:54 26 Jul 2006

Its definately a router... its a Speedtouch 576 Wireless Modem Router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017