a good read for tweakers

sunny staines 15:07 06 Aug 2008

click here

I will let you read the article and comments at the bottom and let you make you own mind up.

I am not sure and have an open mind tweaking worked for me in XP but vista does not seem to need so much

bluto1 18:58 06 Aug 2008

I read the full article and some of the replies/comments, and as far as I'm concerned, if a PC owner adopts good, common sense habits with his PC then he won't need to tweak.
It's a good article and worth reading and comparing what you've done yourself with it's recommendations.

paulgeaf 00:08 07 Aug 2008

I am pleased to see an article like this...it may stop sooo many people falling for the old 'windows uses up 20% of your bandwidth' hoax!!
If you search google for that quote you find so many forums posts where people have posted it, and loads of others respond with the usual 'wow thanks!' and even many of the replies are like 'I tried this and it REALLY SPEEDED THINGS UP!'. Hmm. Wrong!
So anything that helps to dispel these stupid and long-overdue-to-be-killed fallacies is great!

bluto1 I really have no idea what you are talking about mate...
'If a PC owner adopts good, common sense habits with his PC then he won't need to tweak...'???!
Huh?
Tweaking obviously has a very different definition to you than to the rest of us!?
Tweaking is simply the changing of settings to suit yourself. These can be simple changes like a desktop wallpaper...admittedly the kind of tweaking we are really talking about though is 'PC performance tweaks'. now, are you seriously saying that, if you are sensible then you have no need for this?
That is ridiculous!
I can tell you 100% that, anyone who runs windows (let's talk about XP, not Vista) straight out the box, installs it and leaves the services running and pretty much all of the settings as they are, will have such a heavy performance hit on their machine...some machines used to struggle even as new, just because of the juice being used in the background! I have went to fix some peoples new PCs and all that was needed was a bit of 'tweaking' to kill stupid and useless(to the average emailing/ebaying/web browsing user) background services that windows forces on them. Not to mention other useless system tray icons that load at start up. I would call the culling of those a tweak too.
Then there is some great tweaking of the OS...you can customise, fine tune and really speed up your PC without ANY ill effects.
That to me, is much more sensible than doing nothing!!
I recommend you look into tweaking your PC and getting the potential out of the OS instead of keeping to your sensible habits :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?