Good internet speed but bad when gaming online

konstantin 17:51 30 Aug 2014
Answered

Hi, my internet speed is jumps around between 50-200 megabits/s when i stream large files or download. But when i play online games, they only use 5 megabits/s or less which makes it impossible to game without lag. My question is if there is a way too "force feed" a program/game with internet???

Ian in Northampton 19:42 30 Aug 2014
Answer

I don't think so. At a guess, the limitation is in the game server. Given how many users it has to support, it's likely that there's a maximum speed it can sustain in terms of serving users. And, btw, it's perfectly possible to have an excellent gaming experience at the speed you're talking about - my son is an avid gamer, our line maxes out at around 6mbps, and he has no problem. You may be suffering from extended ping times, which is a different thing to transfer rate.

konstantin 19:04 01 Sep 2014

Thanks a lot for replying, the problem could be in that i have an unstable connection to my router and that causes lag/disconnections. My ping is usually between 20-50 when playing bf3 but as you said i probably have extended ping times as i noticed my ping sometimes goes up to 500 ms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone