Good free PDF-creating software?

Kate B 11:28 11 Apr 2005

Anybody got any recommendations for software, preferably free, that creates PDFs?

DieSse 11:48 11 Apr 2005

Open Office claims to be able to create PDFs - and gives you a complete, free MS Office like suite as well!!

PsiFox 11:53 11 Apr 2005

Try

click here
This is Free (with adverts)

click here

PsiFox

Simsy 12:58 11 Apr 2005

Open Officec creates good PDF's... from within an OOffice prog.

i.e. if it's a "Word" doc you're starting with, you open it in OOfice and then "Print" it to a pdf. With OOffice it will keep any hyperlinks in the pdf.

pdfFactory from click here is available a a free trial and comes in a basic or more advanced version. Until you pay for it each page "printed" has a small advertising "footer". Paying and registering removes this footer.

(Note that the utility "Fineprint" from this company is brilliant!)

Regards,

Simsy

Pesala 13:01 11 Apr 2005

click here

It is a printer driver so produces PDF files from any application. Offers some control over embedding fonts, and the graphics quality/PDF file size trade off.

For professional quality PDFs (for publishing work) Page Plus 9 is your best bet. Currently on offer at £9.95.

€dstowe 14:49 11 Apr 2005

The OpenOffice pdf works fine for general use. It may not have all the refinements of the Adobe version but I'm pretty sure that it will be more than adequate for almost everyone.

Rand Al Thor 15:04 11 Apr 2005
  Kate B 16:23 11 Apr 2005

Thanks, everyone, I'll have a look at all those.

Chris the Ancient 16:38 11 Apr 2005

I'm with Pesala on this one.

I got Primo and find it easy and efficient with no adverts or anything.

AND FREE!!!!!

pauldonovan 16:49 11 Apr 2005

..is great, we use it here.

Zak 19:33 11 Apr 2005

click here

I have it installed and it is easy to use and so far no problems. I am running Win98se box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?