good free firewall- recommendations and views

hatrickj 18:40 09 Jun 2004

I've recently tried Zone Alarm and find it rather intrusive, or may be that's me making it so and at present am using McAfee on limited 40 day trial. I want to be honest so am looking for a decent, effective freebie firewall. Are there any recoomendationd and views out there? I believe also thet MS XP has a basic one built in and I was wondering if an additional firewall would be likely to give conflicts. Thanks all

Fruit Bat 18:52 09 Jun 2004

Firewalls :-
Kerio2 click here
Sygate click here

these two recommended by several people on forum although I prefer Zone Alarm.

Do not have XP firewall and A N Other on at same time can cause alsorts of problems.

/\0/\

obbit 18:55 09 Jun 2004

zone alarm gets my vote click here

sgtdibble 18:56 09 Jun 2004

I agree with Fruitbat Zone Alarm is best and I don't find it intrusive maybe you can ajust it to your liking? Tom >>>

rawprawn 19:06 09 Jun 2004

Zone Alarm

spanneress 19:13 09 Jun 2004

Very high percent of my call outs are firewall or Norton problems...every time I remove their software and pop Zonealarm on, the probs are no more!

Top bit of kit.

961 19:16 09 Jun 2004

If you don't like Zone Alarm, then go for Sygate

But. I keep coming back to Zone Alarm

Sorry, but after many years I've got to admit, it may not be perfect, but you just can't beat it

As for the rest, well, just don't bother

Valvegrid 19:20 09 Jun 2004

Yes, I agree with you, I also found ZA very intrusive, especially when you want to remove it, I ended up reformatting the drive to get rid of it, pity because it does it's job. I use Sygate, it's much more configurable than ZA.

JayDay 19:29 09 Jun 2004

As for your XP Firewall question. I think it is best to disable it. I have done this with zonealarm loaded and it all seems to work fine.

GaT7 19:54 09 Jun 2004

You may be interested in these Firewall Group tests/reviews:

Free: click here.

Paid for & some FREE (& you can try before you buy with most): click here, click here & click here=

Some additional helpful info/articles - About firewalls in general: click here. WinXP firewall review: click here. HTH. Good luck, G

krypt1c 20:00 09 Jun 2004

Thumbs up for ZoneAlarm. Check out your settings [and responses to alerts]. This may be your 'intrusive' problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires