good book on office web components

cyberpharmacist 16:53 23 Oct 2003

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good book on office web component for creating applications in both ASP and ASP.Net pages?

Or is OWC being consider an old technology and can be replaced by other applications nowadays? if there are better ones out there, I would love to hear from you guys!

many thanks!

AubreyS 17:05 23 Oct 2003

Hi there. I just did a search on Google and came up with this click here Any use to you?

Taran 17:40 23 Oct 2003

You've asked a very big question and it is not easily answered.

I've seen some interesting system crashes involving OWC applications running on Windows 2000/IE 5.5/Office 2000 client machines that were prepared on Windows XP/Office XP PC's.

You don't say whether the applications will be run on an intranet environment (where browser and operating system software is easily controlled) or open to external traffic on the web.

It would help a great deal to know what it is you are wanting to do and how you would like to deliver it.

Good book titles to consider are as follows:

Title: Professional OWC programming with Office 2000 and Office XP

ISBN: 0595198465

Title: Programming Microsoft Office 2000 Web Components

ASIN: 073560794X

Title: Professional Active Server Pages 3.0

ASIN: 1861002610

Running and serving the applications requires an above average understanding of sysadmin since you'll have to configure a Windows IIS Server to run the OWC (this is the easy bit) then you have to make sure things are adequately locked down (far harder with IIS).

If you come back with some specifics, one of us will try and advise further.

Regards

Taran

Taran 17:48 23 Oct 2003

Most of the ASP proramming sites have some excellent reference material on ASP applications and OWC.

Try these links:

click here

click here

click here

click here

And don't forget that there is stacks of information on the Microsoft MSDN site click here

One last thing: the excellent Dreamweaver Frequently Asked Questions site click here has more ASP web programming information than you could shake a stick at with very easy to follow examples.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Taran

cyberpharmacist 23:51 23 Oct 2003

thanks all for your great responses.

basically, i need to produce some charts and listing that users can download, in an intranet envrionment.

the data is from a SQL server, and we have a few IIS servers as well as a linux server, which i normally create asp applications on the apache server.

if owc is not the best way to do this, is there other ways that charts can be created easily and look good? i have seen a few php charting samples, but none are as easy to create nice charts as the owc - though i don't know half of the methods and properties for the owc objects.

I shall be grateful if anyone can suggest some good charting and listing codes or references.

thanks.

Taran 11:20 24 Oct 2003

You can use more or less any version of ASP scripting to call up charts and similar from an SQL server.

It's not for me to say which is the most suitable for your particular needs. You'll have to answer that one based on your fuller understanding of your requirements.

You can call the information using either PHP or ASP. If need be you can pass through or use MySQL to get information in or out. Since you are calling from an SQL server this step should be unnecessary, but may well be desirable depending on how the charts and lists will be manipulated and on how much load your SQL server is under. If this is a local application for limited users MySQL can mirror that information in your SQL server that you want to play with for your application to call. Again, this is down to your fuller understanding of your own requirements since I'm going off a few lines of general description above.

OWC could work, but so could standard ASP/VBScript or PHP.

I don't want to be seen to say 'use this method' without a lot more information. Even if I had that detail, it would still be very wrong for me to suggest one method over another if it means you are attacking from a learners perspective.

Since you already have some ASP experience it certainly makes sense to stick with what you know.

Have you looked at some of the third party charting products available that run ASP/SQL server scripts ?

click here

click here

click here

Or would you prefer to do the work entirely manually without spending ?

OWC is certainly a comprehensive set of tools with a ton of COM components for you to play with: if only there was more freely available documentation on them and if using them to begin with did not present such a potential series of issues.

There's a neat little script available for Office Web charting using ASP/VBScript click here

Another way is to use a stored procedure on the SQL Server to pull the information out into an HTML table then run some graphing script based on the columns and rows in the table.

Bar chart example click here

Without getting all weird on you, some of the reasons why OWC COM objects cause issues are:

1. Version Compatibility (OS, installed Service Packs and so on can cause serious problems)

2. Registering DLLs. Whenever a new version comes along you need to register a bunch of DLLs. For backward compatibility you also need to think about supporting earlier DLLs, and so the story continues...

3. Maintenance. Keeping the COM object(s), code, DLLs and so on up to date can be a lot of work.

4. Security Issues. You have to assign permissions and so on for OWC COM applications. (Permissions, etc..)

There are other problems but these, in my view, are a few of the worst offenders.

How is your VB ?

Instead of using OWC you could use VB Script Class objects.

You can create a VB Script class that will take care of your bar graphs and be easy to update, but it will take more work on the front end rather than struggling with back end objects and code.

There's no one simple answer that I know of.

Sorry.

T

Taran 11:23 24 Oct 2003

I've just re-read the above.

I think I went off on one there.

If any of the above waffle is not clear, post again.

T

Taran 16:45 24 Oct 2003

This has info on creating a stored procedure and calling it using ASP: click here

Bar charting in ASP:

click here

click here

Taran 17:00 24 Oct 2003

one I meant to include above but hit the Post response button before I meant to (the joys of trying to answer more than one question at once...)

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017