Gonna BASH this computer soon!!

lovechop 17:37 12 Mar 2008

Hi. My cpu is playing up, file assos errors, icant access win update, no info bar etc. I found that i am getting userenv crypt32 ntdll.dll etc. I know that my cpu is not running on my normal account because an event log says "cannot unload classes reg file bcos it is still in use by an app or service. I also have a failed auto update retrieval from 3rd party error. "windows saved user me while an app or serv was still using the reg at log off" and it says it will be unloaded but still no joy. Im running xp sp2. Any help would be great. Thanks.

woodchip 17:51 12 Mar 2008

Sorry but to this old man, your post looks a bit double Dutch to me. Can you do it one at a time starting from the top. What does you computer first throw up when you start it?????

lovechop 18:11 12 Mar 2008

Hi, everything goes ok, itry to update windows and it says i have to download the activex, but i have no info bar and i used to update fine.

lovechop 18:22 12 Mar 2008

My event viewer log says i have a logon failure - unknown user name or password. Logon type 2. Logon process advapi. Authentication package negotiate. So im not on my normal account. any ideas?

Technotiger 18:28 12 Mar 2008

This might not be much help, but with a bit of luck if you trawl through this lot, you might find a solution click here it appears you are not alone.

Good luck, sorry I can't help you further on this one.

lovechop 18:46 12 Mar 2008

Event viewer says userenv cannot unload classes reg file as it is still in use by an app or service.An app was using the registry when i logged off

Jim_F 19:28 12 Mar 2008

Its possible you are on your own account but something else - like spyware - is using your computer. You can click on Command prompt and type 'whoami' if you want confidencr of this. It is also possible that a failed program install - like Windows update itself is causing problems on its own.

I'd say first see if you have a System restore point before the problems started and do this first, before you overwrite any further restore points.

Then check out your system with Spybot: click here
It wouldn't hurt to do a full scan with your virus checker.

Finally - if Windows update still doesn't work go back to Microsoft click here

I hope this helps.

rossgolf 19:37 12 Mar 2008

what does "whoami" do?
tried it and is not a recognizable command?

MCE2K5 19:41 12 Mar 2008
  lovechop 19:48 12 Mar 2008

Re-installed ie7 and all good so far. (touch wood)

Jim_F 20:30 12 Mar 2008

The whoami I was referring to is part of the OS - bring up the DOS prompt c:\... using Command Prompt - type whoami and then return and the computer should respond with its network name and your login name. Works on everything I've used including Vista.

I've seen some spyware tweak ie so would suggest you consider using one of the free packages available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?