Going wireless- where do I start?

xxtamxx 13:27 26 Dec 2007

Hi,
I'm planning on going wireless as soon as possible. (Got some christmas money and decided it would be spent on this.)

I'm currently with Tiscali Broadband, and want to go wireless on my laptop. I was just wondering what I will need in order to go wireless, I understand I need routers etc, but I'm totally baffled as to which one to get!!

Also, I hope I don't sound stupid asking this, but once I've got my laptop on wireless, will I be able to go on the internet on my laptop at the same time as someone else on the PC downstairs?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Hope to hear from you soon!
xxx

rossol 14:21 26 Dec 2007

Netgear Routers are good and generally have a adaptor to put in the side of your laptop included but your comp has to have a build in adaptor or you can buy a usb attachment adaptor instructions should be included
You can use a different sites on all your comps

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:21 26 Dec 2007

You need a Wireless Modem Router.

There are loads on the market but I suggest you get one of the leading Brands Belkin, Linksys or Netgear.

The current standard level of technology is 802.11g
some routers are being sold to the next expected level 802.11n or mimo but I would stick with the 802.11g for now

Belkin click here

Linksys click here

Netgear
click here

xxtamxx 14:23 26 Dec 2007

Ok, thanks for that.

On my laptop I have wireless enabled so that means I wont need the USB will it? But I will still need it for the PC.

I was reocmmended the Thomson Speedtouch 536 2 Port USB/Ethernet Combo Router. Anyone know much about these?

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. =]

xxx

tullie 14:25 26 Dec 2007

Laptop should be wireless enabled,so its easy

xxtamxx 14:26 26 Dec 2007

Tullie, yeh it is I'm just stuck about what routers to get etc, but the others seem to be helping with that. =]

xxx

xxtamxx 14:44 26 Dec 2007

Ok, thanks for that.

On my laptop I have wireless enabled so that means I wont need the USB will it? But I will still need it for the PC.

I was reocmmended the Thomson Speedtouch 536 2 Port USB/Ethernet Combo Router. Anyone know much about these?

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated. =]

€dstowe 14:44 26 Dec 2007

I had a Speedtouch 536 - it was rubbish. May just have been that one but, I'll stick with Netgear now.

xxtamxx 14:45 26 Dec 2007

Right ok thanks.
Do I need to buy anthing other than the router? Like cable or anything?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?