going wireless with only a laptop, need help???

homer-j 12:50 14 Aug 2006

Ok, i finally put my hands up i need some help, i'm hardly computer illiterate but no wizz kidd, so kid gloves please all you clever people out there. I've ditched the old pc and got myself a decent fujitsu siemens laptop. orignally had laptop connected via netgear DG814 dsl internet gateway to the internet, no problems. Decided to start using laptop wirelessly (as intended) purchased phillips SNA6500 ADSL wireless base station, and you can guess whats coming, cannot connect to internet. I've tried setting up with LAN connection and disabling wireless, and all connections show no problems but activate IE and standard error page pops up. I've tried all sorts in network settings, ip addresses, disabled firewalls etc but still it won't go that last mile!! Please can one of you very clever people come to my rescue!!!!!

FelixTCat 13:15 14 Aug 2006

homer-j,

I'm not clear from your post whether you can access the internet when you connect your laptop to the modem router by ethernet cable. Can you?

If not, that is the first thing to fix.

Regards,

Felix

homer-j 13:48 14 Aug 2006

No, sorry i didn't make it very clear, cannot access internet via a cabled connection either

FelixTCat 14:21 14 Aug 2006

homer-j,

OK, that's the first thing to fix.

Go to Control Panel - Network Connections and click on the Local Area Connection relating to the modem router. Right-click on it and click Properties. Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties. make sure that the 2 "automatically" radio buttons are ticked. OK out.

Presumably you can log into the modem from PC-1 by typing 192.168.2.1 into your browser now?

Make sure that you have entered your ISP's username and password accurately. Also, make sure that VPI and VCI are set to 0 and 38 respectively and encapsulation to VC/MUX. Save those settings to the router.

You should now be able to access the internet.

Can you?

Regards,

Felix

Regards,

Felix

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017