Going wireless, easy or difficult?

alfredgerald 10:08 26 Feb 2010

I want to change from my wired modem supplied by Tiscali to a wireless router/modem. How easy or difficult is it? Do I have to make many changes to my PC or will the installation disk take care of everything? Are there likely to be any problems with my e-mail settings? Any help will be appreciated.

Al94 10:18 26 Feb 2010

Dead easy, especially in my experience, if you opt for a netgear product. I have set up several, all up and running easily in a matter of minutes. Email will be as before.

MAJ 10:18 26 Feb 2010

It's fairly straightforward, alfredgerald. As you were with Tiscali, I assume you are now with TalkTalk. If so just follow the instructions on the TT CD and it will guide you through the process. Or are you going to buy your own router?

alfredgerald 10:57 27 Feb 2010

Will be buying my own router MAJ. Does that make a difference?

wiz-king 11:13 27 Feb 2010

I have also used a Netgear router/modem and found the process easy. Make sure you get a modem/router not just a router and don't forget to set up the encryption for the wireless side of things.
All the instructions are on the CD that should come with the router.

Tony W. 14:21 27 Feb 2010

Agree with all the above advice I was dreading the changeover but it was very easy especially with the instructions given by Netgear.One piece of advice I previously picked up from this forum and that is to save a copy of your router settings.

alfredgerald 08:45 02 Mar 2010

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017