going wireless

sudoman 12:33 13 Mar 2010

we have 2 desktop pcs in our flat one in the living room and one in the bedroom.at the moment they are on a secure wired network.i want to go wireless on the bedroom pc butnot on living room pc at moment.how do i go about setting up will i have to install driver for router in living room.as that is host pc

birdface 13:16 13 Mar 2010

If it has not got a wireless card on it you can pick up a wireless dongle which plugs into your Usb slot.They are not very expensive.£10-£20 should do it.
When you connect it Microsoft should download the driver for it.Whether you have to reboot for it to take affect i cannot remember.
I did it on my 6 year old computer with no problems.
Maybe wait and see if anyone can come up with a better solution.
If it is a laptop you are on about it may already have a wireless connection and it would just be a matter of switching it on.

sudoman 13:28 13 Mar 2010

i have bought a usb dongle.will i need to install router drivers on desktop pc's as they are not installed on ether desktop my daugter as a laptop that connects no problem

birdface 14:19 13 Mar 2010

I did not need to install any drivers.Microsoft installed them when I booted up the computer.

MAJ 14:37 13 Mar 2010

No, you do not need to install router drivers. You might need to install the driver for the USB Wireless Adapter on the PC you are going to use it on, but those drivers usually come on a CD when you buy the Adapter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?