going To buy laptop-how do i get internet anywhere

supamelon 17:09 07 Nov 2006

Hey, i am going to but a new laptop for xmas. i want to get wirless internet anywhere i go, what do i need to buy and how does it work?

Thanks!

sean-278262 17:15 07 Nov 2006

Wifi or wireless only works at hot spots where a connection is available. So I suspect you have been mislead by advertising. You can invest in a 3g wireless data card from a mobile phone provider. However these can cost about £25 a month on average.

The other alternative is to consider using your phone as a dial up modem, however this can often prove very expensive.

supamelon 17:17 07 Nov 2006

what is the connection speed from a 3g data card?

Thanks

sean-278262 17:22 07 Nov 2006

supamelon - it is the same as when you use WAP on a mobile phone. It varies depending on where you are.
click here
click here

these are the 2 main carriers. I only used it briefly and it seemed to be about equivalent to low end broadband.

"How fast will it be?

Initially designed around the 1.8Mbps standard, you will experience peak download speeds of around 1.4Mbps (with an average of 400-700kbps across all coverage areas). Upload speeds will be up to 384kbps. Both download and upload speeds are up to four times faster than current 3G speeds."

Is what vodafone says.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?