Going to buy Acronis-Which is best version?

buel 15:38 24 May 2009

Hi there, im going to buy Acronis as iv been advised that it is the best tool to make iso back ups of my pc. Has anyone any recommendations of which version is the best/easiest to use? Is it always the newest version and, if so, which is the newest version please? And am i able to use it on more than one of my pcs/laptops?
Thank you in advance.

Technotiger 15:44 24 May 2009

Hi, dunno about which is best, but I am using Acronis 11 which always has, and is, serving me very well.

compumac 15:53 24 May 2009

I would back up Technotiger's comments about V11.

cocteau48 16:06 24 May 2009

The latest version is Acronis True Image Home (2009)

It has a radically different interface from the previous versions but basically does the same job so if you can get an earlier version at a good price then you are not missing out on much.

I have to say that the ability to mount an image (that is to say: create an accessible version of your saved image within a new virtual drive letter - which can be done and undone in seconds - and is not the same as a full image restoration) works faultlessly in the latest version but I always found to be very hit and miss in earlier version.

... and yes you can use it on more than one of your machines.

cocteau48 16:22 24 May 2009

... and yes you can use it on more than one of your machines.

I think that someone has pointed out in the past that there is a clause in the T&C's stating that it is only for use on one machine - or only to be installed on a second machine if the first has been "decommissioned"... but there is nothing actually within the program which stops it from being done.

buel 16:54 24 May 2009

Thank you for that, i will go for version 11, would you advise a downloadable version (which i think would be cheaper) or a 'hard copy'?
Ps- could you explain what you meant about your quote of 'I have to say that the ability to mount an image (that is to say: create an accessible version of your saved image within a new virtual drive letter - which can be done and undone in seconds - and is not the same as a full image restoration) works faultlessly in the latest version but I always found to be very hit and miss in earlier version.'?

cocteau48 17:16 24 May 2009

buel
Restoring an Acronis image will completely overwrite your existing drive (say"c") with the saved image.
Acronis also has the function to "mount" an image.
Doing so will create a new drive letter(normally the next available free letter)and copy your saved image to that drive.
Within that virtual drive you can access files and folders which you may have deleted since that particular image was taken. I recently corrupted a database when syncing between two machines but was able to retrieve an uncorrupted copy from a previously saved image and copy it back into the main drive overwriting the corrupted version...all done from a mounted image.

The mounting process is very quick (less than a minute) and the drive can be instantaneously unmounted (removed)again with a single click within the context menu.

Normally you would do a complete restore to eradicate and remove some problem from your machine.
Mounting an image will not do that as it leaves your main drive,with its problems,intact.

Hope that helps.

buel 17:28 24 May 2009

Thank you for that Cocteau, i will go for version 11, would you advise a downloadable version (which i think would be cheaper) or a 'hard copy'?

cocteau48 18:00 24 May 2009

buel
"would you advise a downloadable version (which i think would be cheaper) or a 'hard copy'?"
The only real difference is that the hard copy disk can be used as your bootable recovery disk - should you not be able to recover from within Windows.
With a downloadable version of Acronis you will need to create your own recovery disk which is very easy to do .. if I recall correctly the creation of such a disk is part of the Acronis installation process.

mooly 18:30 24 May 2009

Acronis info and tutorials,
click here
The retail disc is bootable if needed in an emergency. If you download, just be sure to create one yourself from the options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?