going backpacking - Advice please...!

juicypeach 20:10 27 Mar 2005

I am planning to go backpacking in Africa - possibly to stay there. I am thinking of investing in a laptop, which I'll need to use a s a word processor, as well as for processing my digital photos, and maintaining my website. What would u guys recommend ? should be pretty shockproof and hopefully lightweight and compact. I'm a bit of a newbie on pc's.

AubreyS 20:16 27 Mar 2005

One of these looks ideal. click here

AubreyS 20:46 27 Mar 2005

Sorry it did not go to the page I wanted. Try typying toughbook into the search box.

Kate B 21:15 27 Mar 2005

Actually I'd recommend the Apple iBooks - not expensive, well stocked with software straight out of the box (iPhoto is terrific for digital images), lightweight (around the 2.5kg mark) and tough. They also these days come with Airport Extreme so you'll be able to connect wirelessly - and easily, no fiddling around - to hotspots. I've got a 12" iBook that I've taken away with me a few times and it's been brilliant. Team it with a Crippy Duck bag and you're off.

ann-199314 23:05 27 Mar 2005

I lived in Africa for 7 years. Where are you heading off to. If I can give you any advice I would be pleased to.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:36 27 Mar 2005

Internet cafes?

G

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:39 27 Mar 2005

I would put money on you being robbed if you take a laptop with you ;-)))

G

Dan the Doctus 00:04 28 Mar 2005

This case may be of interest click here (not cheap though).

juicypeach 14:08 30 Mar 2005

thanks Ann - could you email me direct ? Its : reikisarah@hotmail.com. cheers

Yoda Knight 14:20 30 Mar 2005

Suntan lotion, in bulk ! Haha.

So where are u going ?

I lived there for 28 years....

wee eddie 14:51 30 Mar 2005

Nigeria, Mozambique, Congo and others.

Customs officers frequently regard such items as a perk of their trade, unless the traveller is affiliated to a powerful local organisation.

I would suggest the cheapest second hand job that you can get from Morgan.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?