Going Away & Want To Turn Off All My Computer & Related Hardware.

uggly 20:36 07 Sep 2013

I'm going away and like to turn off and unplug the majority of electrical appliances before going for security and peace of mind in case any electrical faults in anything should occur whilst I'm not at home. Will I cause any damage to my telephone and fibre optic broadband services if I switch them off for four days please? I've not been away since having my computers so never had to think about this before. All help gratefully appreciated. Thank you very much.

spuds 21:50 07 Sep 2013

I always switch off all my computer devices, except the router. The ISP suggested leaving the router on. You may also find that any printers switched off, may need to go through a 'cleaning cycle' if left off for a length of time, before they commence to work.

lotvic 22:37 07 Sep 2013

I switched everything off and unplugged last time I was away, I did leave the fibre modem on but I unplugged the Router. Didn't have any problems, that I was aware of, when I connected back up again.

Woolwell 07:24 08 Sep 2013

I wouldn't bother turning off the telephone but I regularly turn off all of my computer kit, modem and router without any problems.

I wouldn't bother turning off the telephone but I regularly turn off all of my computer kit, modem and router without any problems.

Woolwell 07:26 08 Sep 2013

Snag of posting from iPad - 3 posts.

BT 08:57 08 Sep 2013

I turn all my stuff of at night. Shut down the computer then one main switch on the surge protected multi socket extension shuts down everything else except the printer which I leave on 24/7.

Batch 13:24 08 Sep 2013

Turning off the router occasionally (such as when going away) is not a problem. Turning it off every day can (purportedly) cause issues with the algorithms that determine what quality / speed your line can support - that's why the ISPs suggest not turning them off.

uggly 13:43 08 Sep 2013

Thank you all for your very kind help. I sympathise with Woolwells' three messages, but my old arthritic fingers don't suit an iPad sadly. I will indeed turn it all off for the couple of days I'll be away and hope it'll be fine after a while when I return. I'm sure it will be.

All the best and thank you again.

wee eddie 17:23 08 Sep 2013

I nornally leave the router on and turn all the equipment off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?