Goin from bad-worse Chaps. XP install goin wrong

AngeTheHippy 18:21 17 Nov 2007

Well, started formatting hdd with XP recovery disk at 17:00hrs. It finished at about 18:00hrs and now keep getting this:
The File netsetup.exe wasn't copied correctly. The file setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid windows xp system image.

Also, before this message, each time I hit 'enter' to retry, got message:
h323msp.dll
hdwwiz.cpi
help.exe
hhctrl.ocx
hhsetup.dll
hid.dll
hidphone.tsp
himem.sys
hlink.dll
hnetmon.dll
hnetwiz.dll
all wasn't copied correctly to hard disk. This is the original CD I got with the PC. It's stored VERY safely in a box with all the Evesham paperwork. Don't know what to do next. Please, can anyone suggest anything other than throw the bally lot through the window??

AngeTheHippy
xx

jimv7 18:23 17 Nov 2007

Try another cd/dvd drive to load xp from.

jimv7 18:28 17 Nov 2007

Or even try a cd/dvd cleaner disk.

AngeTheHippy 18:31 17 Nov 2007

I went into BIOS to set the first cd as 'start from' which it did, and I formatted the HDD. No just tried it, it won't boot from 2nd CD drive...

Keeps saying NTLDR is missing - cttrl/alt/del to restart. Then back to square 1. Getting nowhere...

x

AngeTheHippy 18:38 17 Nov 2007

hanged drive for CD boot - still getting NTLDR is missing, so the same thing. What the hell is NTLDR?

Ange

VoG II 18:39 17 Nov 2007

This should help click here

AngeTheHippy 18:52 17 Nov 2007

was looking at exactly the site you mentioned!! BUT, only get as far as the blue screen (after tapping F8 after the cntr/alt/del) and I get the choices 'to setup XP press ENTER, to repair XP press R - this didn't work, I'll press enter hang on . . . . . OK, got Licensing agreement age, F8 to agree . . . . .
choices are: To setup XP on selected item (c:partition1 [NTFS] press enter,
to create a partition in unpartitioned space press C. to delete partition, press D.
Well, I already ddone this at 18:00hrs - it took an hour to format that partition, so why is it aasking me to do it again?

A

x

jimv7 19:01 17 Nov 2007

'so why is it asking me to do it again?'

because you have started the install again.

next time chose 'fast format'

If the cd is dirty or the cd/dvd reader is dirty or faulty then you will get the errors or missing files.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:05 17 Nov 2007

NTLDR

NT loader

Check BIOS settings
first boot CD
second boot HDD
save and exit (F10)

use a "borrowed" CD of the appropriate version of Windows and use your existing product key.

AngeTheHippy 19:09 17 Nov 2007

but it's just finished, and again says 'The file msaud32.acm was not copied correctly. The file setup placed on yr HDD is not a valid XP system image'. Just as it did the first time I formatted, jim at 18:00hrs. It took an hour - this 'quick' format about 3 minutes. Now I can either it Enter to retry, doesn't work, ESC to skip file, done that and another msg msaudite.dll not copied correctly.

And another, and another. Just like before...

Ange
x

AngeTheHippy 19:12 17 Nov 2007

not copied correctly, then the dredded BSOD .

ntfs.sys - address F71702e9 base at f7152000, datestamp 3b7dc5d0

Ange

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone