GoBack v System Restore

compumac 10:20 10 Jan 2006

I find that I had previously posted to the wrong thread. My apologies in that I have started a thread and submitted the content of this thread to another,this was not intended.

My subscription to Norton Antivirus has just expired today using Norton Systemworks Premier 2005. In my infinite (?) wisdom I have purchased Norton Systemworks Premier 2006 and it was not until I received and opened the packaging that I realised that Norton Goback installs as part of the package, whereas in previous versions it was an option. Years ago I had a lot of problems with GoBack and am now very apprehensive as to the installation, with all of the ramifications of removing the current version and the re-updating etc. I realise that one can disable GoBack but I am now considering purchasing the subscription instead, especially after readng the comments in this thread.
I know that there will be comments made about moving from version 2005 to 2006, but the 2006 version was a christmas present.

Any comments?

Methedrine 11:46 10 Jan 2006

Personally, I wouldn't have bought anything from Norton when there are better, FREE programs available for download.

compumac 12:26 10 Jan 2006

I note your comment and take it on board, however I have been using Norton for a good many years with minumum known problems.

Totally-braindead 13:11 10 Jan 2006

Its really stupid of them to set it up so that you have to install everything but that aside, could Goback perhaps be disabled once installed? Plus presumming Goback has improved you may find that you will have no problems at all.

I also dislike Norton for reasons that I won't go into, but since you already have it and its the latest version it may be worth trying it. I would back up what I could and make a System Restore point though just in case.

compumac 14:29 10 Jan 2006

Thanks for comments. I have already backed up the full drive image as I normally anticipate the worst.
I am waiting till later today to install whilst everyone is out and the phone will be off the hook.

Mytob 14:47 10 Jan 2006

i have also had problems with norton in the past and go back messed my pc up totaly so i would not touch it. as for system restoter i would recomend it if it actualy wored! every time iv used it it just says cant roll back please try an earlier date. the only good part of xp again does not work. i dont bother using it any more and just disable it to save the disk space taken up by it. as mentioned above there are many free and open source eqiveilents to go back just look on google. and for a good av try kaspersky pro which is updated every few hours unlike nortons one a week and for a firewall sygate pro. i also like to use clamwin which is a open source and is updated very frequently. it does not have on acces scanning though so be warned. check out sourceforge sourceforge.net for open source programs (these are totaly free) as there is loads of good stuff generaly there.

LANDCRUISER 15:24 10 Jan 2006

i been using norton systemworks, anti virus, goback & firewall, 2006 since sept & found it to be very good,they have a new part where you can put pc into a try mode or auto back found this to works well,try this out,they also seem to do antivirus updates on daily bases.

jack 15:29 10 Jan 2006

I feel that by making Go-Back built in Norton may be making a maresnest for thmselves.

GoBack as a stand alone program was dresigned for the 96/8 era and was aquired by Norton.
Meamwile the updated NT system in the guise of XP has its own 'GoBack'- Restore- Xp'ers simply do not need it. and perhaps there is potential for screwing restore up in the process

phil46 15:35 10 Jan 2006

I would never use Goback all it does is balls your computer up big tme.

SHUNNA 16:19 10 Jan 2006

Contrary to what some others have replied,I use GoBack v4 and think it`s great. It does much more than system restore which i have found to be totally unreliable.

Mytob 17:29 10 Jan 2006

Nice to no some one eles is having problems with system restore! :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer