Go Slow

Stowit 13:56 01 Apr 2006

A dose of upgrade 'itus' lead me to running my PC with new mobo without Antivirus when down loading drivers etc. Lots of complications with my wireless lan & other issues had got me in a real mess. Now having got some protection & found viruses galore & running various spywear checkers, virus scans etc think Ive eliminated them. Now though my pc takes an age to boot (30s) on the Windows XP screen. Ive run msconfig, & looked at the startup applications list, & found virus type things listed (now disabled). Why are they still there? Various scans show the pc virus free. How do I go about deleting them? Why's boot up still so slow, could other windows files have been corrupted? Also, its a P42.8, has 3gig Ram & sometimes is 'stuttery', like its short on memory, but does not show anything od running in Task manager. Any pointers please.

rawprawn 14:09 01 Apr 2006

click here this will let you clear msconfig and I would suggest downloading CCleaner and running that.

rawprawn 14:10 01 Apr 2006

click here CCleaner

Stowit 14:54 01 Apr 2006

Sorry forgot to say, Ive also ran CC cleaner. Will try that start up tool thanks.

Stowit 16:03 01 Apr 2006

Indeed, it removed all references to the nasties. Still slow to boot though )-:

rawprawn 16:16 01 Apr 2006

click here Take the full PC Tune up.

Stowit 16:51 01 Apr 2006

Done the 'tune up', nothing obvious, suggests a defrag. Will do that overnight. Handy site though, thanks. Don't think it has resolved the slow boot though. My old mobo used to race through boot (seconds) & though slower this one was lots quicker Im sure. Ive added more memory since then, but it doesn't show it checking it on screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?