gmail or googlemail in uk ?

setecio 16:43 06 Dec 2008

I remember 3 years ago gmail in the uk had to change to googlemail, but having just created a new one, I log in and it says at the top [email protected]

Does anyone know the current situation regarding gmail in the uk as I would prefer to use @gmail.com, however I don't want to risk using it in printed material and find at a later date @gmail doesn't get to me.

Clapton is God 16:49 06 Dec 2008

If you sign up for an account today, it'll be @googlemail.com

laurie53 20:30 06 Dec 2008

I still get mail through gmail. I think that even if they change they recognize the old address.

I've been with Yahoo for many years. I still use my .com address even though uk addresses have been yahoo.co.uk for a long time

Snec 20:37 06 Dec 2008

Yes, I think CiG is right. The early adopters got gmail, now it is googlemail.

BTW, are you aware of GMX.com (google it). I mention it because I use it more than any of the others now. I think it is really good, better than all the rest. Try it and see what you think.

Quiet Life 16:11 07 Dec 2008

Google have a problem in UK and Germany re the use of gmail as somebody claims that they are infringing their copyright. Until case resolved google use googlemail in these countries.
However if e-mails are sent to you as either googlemail or gmail they will be received OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?