Global Format Change in Word 2003

johnincrete 17:36 06 Jan 2012

I have a long document that contains many instances of words that are in colour and are underlined. Is there any way to get Word 2003 to change such instances to the default colur black and no underline without me having to change each one individually? The offending words also contained an _ character linking them and I have successfully changed tghat to a space.

QuizMan 18:15 06 Jan 2012

It depends if there are other occurences of colour/underlined that you want to retain. If not the simple answer is to select all by using Control A and choosing black as the colour and clicking on the underscore icon (Ctrl+U shortcut). You may need to repeat the 2nd part a couple of times as it works like an on/off toggle.

BRYNIT 18:21 06 Jan 2012

Hopefully this should work in Word 2003 unless someone has an easier way.

To change all fonts to black select the whole document by putting mouse button at top of first page hold mouse button and drag to end, right click mouse and select Font under font colour select Automatic all fonts should now be black.

Remove underline can be done in a similar way but you will need to select the areas that you do not want the underline to show. from the font menu select underline style select none.

HondaMan 18:30 06 Jan 2012

Try selecting the whole document and then press ctrl+Q. If this causes problems, ctrl+Z better still,copy the document first to a safe location.

AroundAgain 20:48 06 Jan 2012

You can change your Bold, Italics, Underscore to plain text by highlighting all, or specific, using Ctrl+A, then just do Ctrl+spacebar. Bold, italics and underscore will be removed.

While still highlighted, click on the Font colour and click on Black, or required colour, as suggested above.

Edit - Find and Replace to change _ to 'space' (you have already changed this, according to your post)

I appreciate you probably have already fixed your document, but just wanted to add the use of Ctrl+spacebar - to negate the B, I and U, all in one go. I find this very useful.

HondaMan - I'm curious as to what Ctrl+Q does, please? I tried it on some highlighted text and couldn't see any change. Thx.

HondaMan 20:56 06 Jan 2012

Ctrl+Q should remove all formatting

HondaMan 21:02 06 Jan 2012
  AroundAgain 21:51 06 Jan 2012

Thanks, HondaMan

After messing about in a document, I eventually discovered Ctrl+Q removed the indents, numbering etc but not the Bold, Italics, Underline. So, I have learnt something - thanks, I appreciate that.

So, both Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+SpaceBar have their place.

I don't know if it is different in the different versions though. I have 2003, as the OP, so don't know if shortcuts have changed at all during the versions.

Anyway, thanks for enlightening me re Q

Cheers

johnincrete 04:22 07 Jan 2012

Thanks all Like so many solutions, it was obvious. I had concentrated on using Edit & replace all. Ctrl + spacebar is going to be useful.

Peter 10:14 07 Jan 2012

johnincrete,

I'm not sure if this will be of any use to you, but in Word 2002 that I use, you can use the Find and Replace function to do just what I think you want.

Open the Find and Replace dialogue (Control + F) Click on the Format button (bottom leftish of the dialogue) Select Font Choose only the options you want to search for i.e Font Color: and Underline Style: Click OK

This will find each occurrence sequentially throughout the document.

If you want to Find and then Replace select the Replace tab on the Find and Replace dialogue and enter the Replace with options when you have completed the Find options.

You should be able to Find and Replace all items or go through them one by one and decide exactly which ones you want to alter.

Peter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017