Gigabit switch worth having?

wavesailor 12:16 15 Aug 2005

Would I notice the difference if I changed our 5 10/100 mbps switches to the newer Gigabit switches. My network is 7 workstations sharing 2 gig broadband access, we operate from 4 separate buildings on a farm with max 75 metres between buildings. We share an Act6 database, an Access database and soon an EPOS system, we also transfer images across the network

BigMoFoT 21:40 15 Aug 2005

Your question is simply yes!! You will notice a massive difference sharing files, software and data. Beleive me it makes a difference - Bear in mind that all your workstations will also need to be gigabit compliant i.e. a gigabit network card, either on-board or PCI. If you have this then give it a try between 2 workstations. The beuaty with gigabit ports is that you won't need a a cross-over cable to connect 2 workstations together, a standard patch cable will work fine...

LastChip 01:59 16 Aug 2005

You will certainly see a big difference on any large file.

The downside; although it will run on CAT 5e cable, to get the absolute best out of it, you really need Cat 6.

Note: For the purposes of clarity, it will work on Cat 5e and there will be an improvement.

wavesailor 08:48 16 Aug 2005

Anyone in the market for 5 nearly new 10/100 mbps netgear switches?

Gaz 25 01:33 06 Sep 2005

Why not sell you old ones on ebay? :-D

If they are managed, I would buy one!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone