gif query

Smokeyone 10:57 20 Dec 2007

Hello

I have received an e-mail from a friend with a an embedded gif as part of the text. Normally I right click, send to browser then copy and paste.
Unfortunately my gif is now frozen. Any ideas please.
Thanks very much

octal 11:09 20 Dec 2007

Have you spoken to your friend to make sure they actually sent the email? Graphic files can contain nasties. You should run your email client to initially block graphics, if you are satisfied they are safe then allow them.

Smokeyone 11:35 20 Dec 2007

I take your point about nasties but I often get a gif from a friend down under. They cannot help about while in will not run on my desktop.
However still works fine on the e-mail !

octal 12:02 20 Dec 2007

Is it an animated GIF? Sometimes they will only run in the embedded email or a browser because of the coding.

Smokeyone 12:13 20 Dec 2007

Yes, it is animated but not when I copy it !
So perhaps, as you say it will only run in the e-mail or browser.
No way to save it otherwise then !

octal 12:29 20 Dec 2007

You may be able to save it and it should open and animate in the browser OK, if you try and open it with a graphics editor it probably won't animate unless it will run layers.

Les28 13:17 20 Dec 2007

Are you using Outlook Express, to save embedded items I usually from the main menu bar in Outlook Express click Tools, Options, select the Read Tab then tick "Read all messages in plain text" box, apply and OK.
Go back to the message and you find you can save the embedded attachments from main menu again File, Save Attachments, or from the paper clip which is now showing with the message.
I then just set OE back as it was before, by taking the tick out of plain text box.

Smokeyone 16:05 20 Dec 2007

Thanks all for the advice. It does animate in the browser but not anywhere else. I use Eudora
so am a bit stuck.

MCE2K5 23:18 20 Dec 2007

Try this, Copy it to the Desktop,
Right Click the .gif and choose Preview, Does that animate it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?