Ghosting / Imaging software - What to use?

jcotton 17:59 20 Nov 2005

Hi all

I want to create a backup for my PC by creating a ghost / image of the hard drive so if something goes wong I can just revert to the ghost / image.

Whats the best piece of software out there to do this?

Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 18:10 20 Nov 2005

Disk backup software: hard drive image backup program and cloning disk with operation system
click here

VoG II 18:11 20 Nov 2005
  jcotton 18:22 20 Nov 2005

Can either of those go on to a DVD. As I have this idea in mind.

What I want to do is format my harddrive put a clean install on xp on, install all the updates and all the up todate drivers for all my gear and then create an image. That way I will have my own Customised XP install on a DVD.

Diodorus Siculus 18:35 20 Nov 2005

That's what I do with Win2k - I have a clean install of Win2k fully updated and with all the software that I usually want installed.

After that, defrag the hard disk, remove the paging file and temp files and create an image to a different hard disk. Then I burned this image to a DVD and can use it when a reinstall becomes necessary.

Diodorus Siculus 18:36 20 Nov 2005

Meant to add that both will burn to CD / DVD and various other media.

originalmiscellany 18:36 20 Nov 2005

you can do! It's what i've done, and using acronis, it takes about 5 minutes to reinstall if there are any problems. It's well worth doing should you ever "have a problem"...

PaulB2005 19:23 20 Nov 2005

Totally un-necessary if using True Image as the Page File takes up no space in the image. It'll say it does but it doesn't.

jcotton 19:46 20 Nov 2005

OK maybe a stupid question but..

If you have a hard drive say 20gb and you install windows, drivers and progs etc etc and only use 4gb. Is the backup from acronis 4gb or 20gb

Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 19:52 20 Nov 2005

The image is only 4GB

absent 20:02 20 Nov 2005

My c drive is aprox 35 gb, image is 25 gb using normal compression.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?