ghost disaster prevention software causes disaster

jdw01 10:55 27 Feb 2006

I've bought a new Dell Dimension 3100 with XP Pro loaded, I didn't expect any discs and none were included; so I decided to use Norton's Ghost 2003 to make a image of my hard drive in case everything went t*tsup with the drive mechanics.
Ghost needs to boot into pcdos to start the process but it never got any further and there seems no way to go back, Dell's Pc Restore using ctrl and f11 doesn't work either, any ideas?
Thanks JW

stalion 12:15 27 Feb 2006

have you tried windows system restore?

jakimo 23:51 27 Feb 2006

DEll has a good helpline,and I believe you can purchase a disc

terryf 00:09 28 Feb 2006

Buy acronis, IMO much better than Norton, more reliable

mole44 08:12 28 Feb 2006

i think ghost 2003 doesn`t support ntfs.i use ghost 9.0 and it works just fine

namtas 09:31 28 Feb 2006

On the DELL systems that I have recently purchased drivers came as seperate disks, the backup/restore facilities have been available on the system and customers advised to use this to create thier own.
Are they not providing this now?

jdw01 21:41 01 Mar 2006

the only discs I got was the drivers for the tft screen and mcafee virus software. I thought I had paid extra for the driver discs.
After the BIOS posts the machine trys to boot into PC DOS so I can't get to Window System Restore.
On Dell's website hitting ctrl and f11 supposedly gets me into Dell's PC Restore but the boot sequence ignores the key presses booting to PC DOS which halts, I have checked the keyboard to ensure the keys are working correctly.
There isn't a facility on XP PRO to make a recovery disk and I'm reluctant at this stage to use one from a previous version of Windows.
I'm going to e-mail Dell if there's no easy method to return the OS to factory default, I assumed I was missing something obvious.
jdw01

Thomset 20:48 05 Mar 2006

I have exactly the same problem - on exactly the same machine. Did you find a solution?

jaritch 13:17 06 Mar 2006

Probably slightly off subject, but I think it is appalling that if the disc is not supplied that you don't at least have the opportunity (as I did with my HP) to burn a back up disc via a supplied program on the PC

namtas 14:02 06 Mar 2006

DELL supply three seperate methods of backup on all thier machines, It is located in the DELL restore icon on the desk top, one method provides a complete copy of Windows XP.

Do you not have this facility on your machine?

Thier is some input required from the user as you have to create them yourself.

jaritch 14:58 06 Mar 2006

namtas
I did wonder as it seemed strange that this facility was not there. Come on enlighten us jdw01... have you tried as namtas has suggested??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone