Ghost creates partition

badgermansix 10:41 10 Aug 2005

WinXP HE SP2.

I have just installed a new 2nd HD, then Ghost 2003.
I use this on a second PC without any trouble.

When I make an image to "G" drive, the PC shuts down as it should, then restarts in Dos with the Ghost window as it does on my other PC.
The screen then freezes, with the busy hour glass.

The PC will only start if I use a WinXP floppy startup disc.
(I know how to resolve this particular problem now)

When Windows is up and running, as it opens I am told by Ghost that there is an error, and I look in Admin tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. I find that within "C" NTFS drive, Ghost has created a "VPSGHBOO 16MB FAT Healthy(Active)" partition.
In "G" there is GHost image file with 8bytes.

I can copy other items to the new drive so I am sure it is working o.k.

Why wont Ghost make an image to "G" drive?

TIA

woodchip 10:51 10 Aug 2005

See your other thread

GaT7 16:23 10 Aug 2005

badgermansix, may I suggest you get the new version 9.0 of Ghost.

Or better still, as advised by woodchip (& many others on this forum over the years), purchase Acronis True Image 8.0 which is a lot easier to use. One of the lowest prices I could find for it is at Amazon click here at £15.97, with free delivery if your total exceeds £19. G

badgermansix 22:04 10 Aug 2005

Thank you both< I will have a look at this, and I will come back.

badgermansix 22:11 10 Aug 2005

I have just been to Amazon as suggested, but looking at the Platform, WinXP is not mentioned?

GaT7 18:37 11 Aug 2005

That's a mistake at Amazon - the Acronis website mentions WinXP click here.

The price is £30 there click here. G

badgermansix 06:49 12 Aug 2005

Yes, thank you very much for pointing that out Crossbow7.
I will purchase as has been suggested, but first I want to make certain that it is Ghost that is creating the problem that I am having, and not the set up that I have done for it, of the new hard drive, I Have NTFS format(?) on the New drive (as I have on "C").
I am asking this question on another Forum, even though I am getting a lot of help here (this is still the best) :-))
Got any ideas on my NTFS thoughts please?

Mavisk 10:28 12 Aug 2005

I had the self same trouble,I was using ghost 2003 without a problem,creating an image on a partition of my c drive.I purchased an external usb hard drive
which is ntfs and tried to put an image of my c drive on it ,and it wouldn't work,much the same as you describe,after a lot of messing about and time wasted ,I bought ghost 9 and it works perfectly.

badgermansix 22:26 12 Aug 2005

As a last effort, I reformatted the new drive as FAT32, but ghost still did not pick the drive up.......................so now I will stop trying with Ghost 2003 and look at a new prog.
Thanks for everyone's imput.

badgermansix 07:48 13 Aug 2005

I have purchased Acronise True Image on Ebay, when I get it, and sort my problem, I will come back to this thread to let you know the result!
thanks for your imout.

badgermansix 07:49 13 Aug 2005

imout??????????

imput :-)))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?