Getting wrong website

dhg 19:23 21 Mar 2007

I know there have been other threads on this subject but none of the suggestions helped me. so this is my contribution which may be of help.
My problem was being directed to other sites other than the one I wanted. I also found I could not scan sucsessfully with Norton security, Also defrag stopped. causing repeated error windows.
I had tried system restore going back two weeks
no different. I desperation I went back six weeks and it worked. p c now back to normal. I assume the ( bug ) had been there longer than I thought

p;3 19:28 21 Mar 2007

assuming you had an infection ,once you got back that far and found a 'good date' did you turn system restore off, then reboot and turn it back on again, as infections can lurk IN system restore points

dhg 19:36 21 Mar 2007

No But thanks for tip. will do

p;3 20:26 21 Mar 2007

also occurred to me to say to , if you know the comp IS clean now etc, take/create a 'clean' restore point so you know to where to role back to if you get struck again;

the problem with turning off system restore and then rebooting is of course you do lose ALL restore points ; when you reboot and switch it on again you then ask it to create a restore point and that will be your only point ; BUT you will know it is clean ; keep creating points each time you make a change ; but if you get dirty again you will have this switched on restore point to fall back on

hope that helps?

VoG II 20:35 21 Mar 2007

A better idea IMHO is to create a restore point then run Disk Cleanup (Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup) then when it has finished 'calculating' clock the More Options tab and click the Clean up... button under System Restore.

p;3 20:45 21 Mar 2007

at this rate you will end up with a spanking good restore point worthy OF being a restore point::))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?