getting a usb cable to work in dos

User-BABCD513-7461-4E6C-B17F4449E7087567 21:06 11 Jun 2009

hi,

i have got a program that runs in dos and is called vds-pro a diagnostic program for car, the problem is the program needs a serial cable but as i don't a serial port i only have got usb so i bought a USB VAG-COM 409.1 OBD 2 II CABLE and i need some help as the vds-pro program won't or can't see the car, does anyone know if it possible to somehow get the usb cable to work in dos with the vds-pro program?

regards

kieron.

interzone55 21:17 11 Jun 2009
  phono 21:38 11 Jun 2009

Have a look at click here and click here

As an alternative why don't you get a PCI serial card? See click here

ok thanks for your help now i need someway of booting into dos as i don't have a floppy drive, and i'am using a laptop so i can't install a pci card, my laptop does boot from cd is it possible to creaate a dos boot cd perhaps?

phono 22:02 11 Jun 2009

"is it possible to creaate a dos boot cd perhaps?"

Have a look at click here and click here

ok gonna try another way does anyone know if you can get a converter cable to convert a usb cable to a serial, i know you can get serial to usb but i need it the other way around

phono 21:02 12 Jun 2009

Is this of any help click here and click here

woodchip 23:29 12 Jun 2009

Acronis can access USB ex Drive at start before Windows loads, but how it does it I do not know. So there must be a Way

phono 00:44 13 Jun 2009

Have you considered a virtual PC to run you DOS program on, I am not too sure if it would help but see this click here

woodchip 11:50 13 Jun 2009

What you could try is, download a Win98 Floppy boot disc from click here ninth file down. Load the Program under the Root of your Operating System Drive by just create a folder and put all the files in it. There should be a Program .exe file to execute the program to run after starting with the Floppy in the drive. To create the Floppy put a Blank Floppy in the Drive and double click on the above file after downloading it. you need to know how to navigate to the exe file to start the program running

DieSse 15:31 13 Jun 2009

USB with DOS

click here

woodchip -

There's always a way - you just need to write a driver to do it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?