Getting sound card to work

3rdday 17:06 04 Dec 2003

Have installed a second-hand Soundblaster card (with no installation manual) in my Windows 98 PC. I've connect the audio cable from the CD ROM drive to the card and CDs now play through the sound card okay. However, all other sound is still coming through the PC's internal spaeker. What do I need to do to get all the sound going through the sound card? Is there something else I need to connect?

Stuartli 17:19 04 Dec 2003

Have you set the soundcard as your active device in Device Manager and associated it with your other programs?

It will be listed under Sound, Video and Games controllers - highlight your sound card and click Properties.

Did you have any form of audio control centre software as well as drivers?

If you go to the Creative website you should be able to download the Live Audio Center (correct) from where you can manipulate the sound output to your requirements.

You should also have installed the driver before installing the sound card and let Windows find the driver after a reboot.

Stuartli 17:21 04 Dec 2003

One other thouught. Did you have onboard sound prior to the SoundBlaster? If so you will probably need to disable it (onboard sound) in the Bios.

3rdday 22:30 08 Dec 2003

Disabling onboard sound module did the trick. Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache