Getting the right wireless router

Severn Bore 11:29 07 Nov 2006

Hi
I have a Speedtouch broadband modem connecting to Orange (Wanadoo). It has only two physical connections; a connection to the phone line and a USB connection to my PC. I would like to set up a wireless router. Can anyone pleae advise whether this is possible using this modem and if so recommend a cheap but effective router?
Thanks in anticipation.
Severn Bore?

De Marcus™ 11:41 07 Nov 2006

Your connection is what is termed as ADSL is techno speak, which when used in conjunction with an ADSL router (not DSL) won't require the speedtouch modem. ADSL routers come with their own built in modem so you can do away with the orange one.

De Marcus™ 11:42 07 Nov 2006

"ADSL >IN techno speak"

De Marcus™ 11:44 07 Nov 2006

Oh and the Orange livebox is available click here for wireless connections, although I'm fairly sure you can use any adsl wireless router it's best to wait for confirmation from others.

Aargh 19:04 07 Nov 2006

You will need to ditch the speedtouch modem to go wireless. You will need an ADSL Modem/Router to receive your broadband and broadcast it wirelessly around your house.

You do not have you use the Orange livebox - you can buy your own kit - I have happily used Belkin for sometime.

It depends on how much you want to spend, but £50 will get you a very good router. Theres plenty to choose from and everyone on here will suggest something different!!

Severn Bore 19:36 07 Nov 2006

Thanks De Marcus and Aargh for your help.
Severn Bore

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?