Getting rid of Read Only attribute from CD-R disc

Cumano 13:01 20 Feb 2005

Before formatting my Hard Drive, I transferred data to a CD-R disc. I now want to transfer the data back to the H/D but I get a message telling me that the CD-R disc is Read Only and that I should remove the Read Only Attribute. How do I remove the Attribute? I used Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 Drag to Disc method, also using a Freecom 2 CD Writer. Can anyone help me please?

FelixTCat 14:31 20 Feb 2005

A burned CD-R is, by definition, read only and all the files on it have this attribute set. When you copy them back to your hard drive, you have to change the attribute back to read/write.

You can do this from a dos box, but the easiest may be to highlight all the files and, whilst still holding down the Shift or Control key, right-click on one of the files. Click Properties and untick the Read only box. Click on Apply, then OK.

Cumano 20:17 20 Feb 2005

To;- FelixTCat, Thanks for your response, my problem is now solved.

FelixTCat 21:44 20 Feb 2005

You're welcome.

Buchan 35 21:51 20 Feb 2005

Did`nt know that, thanks for info and Cumano thanks for thread

Eargasm 22:50 20 Feb 2005

I diden't know that either , thanks in my postings.

Cumano don't forget green tick.

anchor 14:55 21 Feb 2005

A free alternative to remove the read-only attribute in a large number of files is here:

click here

woodchip 15:12 21 Feb 2005

You cannot change the way as when you copy to a CD for backup the CD is a Read only device, so when you copy them back to Hard drive the are read Only. One way that I use to change back is this, when you have put the files back where you want them in Explorer click on the to or bottom file, then hold down the shift key to select all the rest or hold the Ctrl key so you can select individual files, now right click\properties on one of the selected files and change back to Archive, this will change all the files in one go back to archive.

woodchip 15:14 21 Feb 2005

PS you just copy the files from the CDR back to the HArd Drive and do the above

CHAIRLEG 15:27 21 Feb 2005

Saved

SEASHANTY 15:40 21 Feb 2005

Thanks info

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?