getting rid of program that starts by itself

wendrick 17:28 19 Feb 2003

I brought this computer from a family member he is a young lad and resieved many different e-mails from freinds one of which had an attachment that has secured itself to the start up program on the computer. when i turn the computer on after the computer has completed the set up it automaiticaly starts.And the program that it is can be a bit inbarrasing is there a way that it can be removed from the computer completely as i do not want the program.
The program is called Hot as hell so you can understand why it can be a bit inbarrasing its an american progam.
please can anyone help me with this problem

Blix 17:36 19 Feb 2003

if it's an installed program, go to Start, Control Panel, Add and Remove. Find it there and delete it. You would do well to also get Ad-aware, run it and get rid of any other possible rubbish that might be on the computer.

mrchips 19:02 19 Feb 2003

Try going to start, run, type in "misconfig",click the start up tab, you will then be shown all of the programs that load on start up.
Uncheck the program that you wish delete from the start up folder, restart the P.C and good luck.

wendrick 19:11 19 Feb 2003

tried both of the responses but still no joy the program can be found in file //c:\windows/temp\index.html

woodchip 19:22 19 Feb 2003

Delete it if its a temp

Blix 19:24 19 Feb 2003

try deleting the contents of the temp floder.

Switcher 19:25 19 Feb 2003

Delete the folder c:\window\temp and restart computer the folder should be created anew if not create the folder

wendrick 19:28 19 Feb 2003

have gone into my computer and treid to delete all of the components to the program but it won't seem to delete from the computer completely and when i restart its still there

mr gee 19:41 19 Feb 2003

try starting up in safe mode then deleting usually works

wendrick 19:52 19 Feb 2003

do excuse me for sounding thick but what's safe mode

tbh72 19:57 19 Feb 2003

You need to edit the registry!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?