Getting rid of Norton antivirus 2005

Glen 16:35 01 Apr 2006

I run AVG free and Zone Alarm, and they are fine. I also have a non-functioning Norton AV 2005. My OS is Win98SE and my processor only 600. I uninstalled NAV and searched for Norton and DSymnatec files and have deleted almost everything except sharewd files. My MS Word now opens up in a flash, and everything is good except for a DOS message which appears on boot-up "Cannot find a device file that may be needed..,. etc". Thuis is a nuisance, and on the Symantec site I can not find a removal utility for the 2005 version.How can I get rid 0f it.
Glen.

VoG II 16:36 01 Apr 2006
  Glen 20:37 06 Apr 2006

I was not successful. I got to the Symantec support page, and clicked on the ‘Run it now’ button in para 2, but could not download the uninstall tool. Following a prompt I allowed ActiveX and Java Script but still no good. Eventually I got to the Symantec Automated Support Assistant and started it on-line. (There was no progress bar) and ran it for about 30 minutes. It kept saying ‘Wait a few minutes’, but nothing was downloaded.
My problem remains. Booting up stops midway with a DOS screen and a message starting “Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows …….” It takes two taps on the space bar to clear it and resume booting up.
Every Norton or Symantec file is now residing in my recycle bin, except two shared files. Booting up is quicker. Opening MS Word used to take over 60 seconds, and now takes 5 seconds. I just want rid of the pesky message.
Glen

GaT7 20:50 06 Apr 2006

Depending on the missing component in the error, try these to remove a leftover registry key that may be the cause...

click here

click here

click here

All the above found by entering the error message you posted (without the quotes) - "Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows" at click here. Good luck, G

remind 20:51 06 Apr 2006

Symnrt direct download link
click here
still worth a try

Totally-braindead 21:40 06 Apr 2006

This may work click here

Totally-braindead 21:45 06 Apr 2006

Didn't realise that reminds link is the same as mine just via a different site.

palinka 22:17 07 Apr 2006

try Start>search>all files and folders; type Symantec (or Norton), click "search now" and delete all it finds. Repeat with Norton (or Symantec).

Glen 11:48 08 Apr 2006

Many thanks for help. Norton AV 2005 is gone at last. I used file SymNRT.exe and itr worked a dream. Bootup time now only 2m 34s which includes booting a firewall and an AV program.

Totally-braindead 12:53 08 Apr 2006

Please tick this as resolved. Glad its sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?