getting rid of norton

chrissy1 22:32 11 May 2009
Answered

norton came together with my bt package...want to uninstall...downloaded tool from symantec...but getting nowhere.....any ideas?exe file seems to be extracting up to a point and im sitting around waiting for something to happen...but nothing is!or am i being too impatient?

phono 22:39 11 May 2009

Use Add\Remove programs to uninstall Norton, reboot if required, then download and run the appropriate Norton removal tool from click here

chrissy1 00:21 12 May 2009

looked in add/remove it has 2 liveupdates symantec.. is that what i remove?...am on version 2006..included with bt yahoo.

brundle 01:06 12 May 2009

The Norton Removal Tool gives pretty comprehensive information while doing its work, but the Add/Remove path is recommended before resorting to the removal tool itself. Norton will have its own entry in Add/Remove, the LiveUpdate elements will still be there after removal with the ordinary method (in every machine I've ever used) - unless you have other Norton products installed that you still use, you can uninstall the LiveUpdate elements too.

chrissy1 15:21 12 May 2009

the only thing showing in add/remove is Liveupdate Notice dated August '08.......wont let me remove at this time...i have the antivirus..firewall and antispy....would i have to disable all these elements first then try to remove?.....

phono 22:04 12 May 2009

You need to uninstall the antivirus, firewall and antispy via add/remove programs, then uninstall live update via add/remove programs, finally run the Norton Removal tool.

chrissy1 00:06 13 May 2009

nothing in add/remove except the Liveupdate Notice...went into settings of norton and turned all off.....still not able to remove the Liveupdate in add/remove and Removal tool still not working for me.......

phono 00:35 13 May 2009

Try Revo Uninstaller as recommended by PC Advisor and available for free from click here download, install and run, if that doesn't work post back.

chrissy1 16:03 13 May 2009

downloaded Revo....it has the Liveupdate message there and Symantec technical web controls...which do i try to uninstall?....the tech web controls one not listed in the normal add/remove but is in the Revo....

chrissy1 16:07 13 May 2009
Answer

its an icon for symantec Technical Support web controls....i dont even know what that is...

phono 00:28 14 May 2009

I would get rid of anything to do with Norton and Symantec, then run the Norton Removal Tool.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?