Getting rid of download.trojan

User-AD3653D0-1723-462E-B832A2AB8950B2A6 05:09 30 Nov 2004

I have a problem.

My PC has aquired something that causes my up-to-date Norton Anti-Virus software to kick into action and tell me that it has detetcted download.trojan and it has been eliminated.

I followed the instructions on the Symantec site about turning off system restore, running NAV, and the switching System Restore back on.

All to no avail. I have an ADSL connection, so I routinely leave the PC online for hours. It's not unusual to come back to find 10 or more pop-up windows from NAV telling me that it has detected this download.trojan and deleted it.

I have run NAV several times to see if anything can be detected and it always comes back to tell me that no viruses have been found.

In addition I have run my (licenced) copy of AdAware and my cover-disk copy of SpyBot and deleted anything they turn up.

My question is simple. Can anyone tell me what file might be causing this trojan/virus to load? Where could it be lurking? And how, just how, do I kill it stone dead?

Nellie2 08:29 30 Nov 2004

It could be an activeX control, in other words a dowloaded program file.

To clean these and your temp files go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean Up

Put a tick in the box for Downloaded Program Files, Temporary Internet Files, Recycle Bin and Temporary Files (anything else is up to you) then click ok.

john-232317 09:25 30 Nov 2004

Try this, it may help

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?