getting rid of computer

Macnut 16:30 09 Feb 2011

I am about to get rid of my old computer What is the best way to remove data?

Thanks

Al94 16:36 09 Feb 2011

Take the hard drive out and use a lump hammer on it!

skidzy 16:43 09 Feb 2011

Why destroy it when the drive/s can be reused as storage !

If you really want to wipe it clean use click here then dump the computer or donate it to a needy outfit locally.

theDarkness 16:44 09 Feb 2011

lol. its true though. you could sell it, but (if youre paranoid) there are simple utilities that can allow the buyer to see what youve deleted, since deleting doesnt really delete your old files, it just no longer allows access to them, getting rid of individual file or folder icons on screen.

The best thing to do (if its not too old or too small in memory) is probably to install your old hard drive on your new computer as a second hard drive, eg where to install non important music files, or where to keep secondary backups.. if you dont want to do this, then go with your first reply instead! ;)

Muergo 21:34 09 Feb 2011

I would keep the hard drive in house, you never know what unconciously you may have put on it years ago, photos of your children etc.
I just bought a box from maplin to put a drive in converting it to an external hard disc, about £20 including all the leads & connectors.

john bunyan 21:38 09 Feb 2011

If you delete your data and use CCleaner Tools / Drive wiper - NSA 7 passes it will take ages but make it almost impossible to recover data.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?