getting pc to work through wireless

mrmacca 16:12 24 Dec 2006

hi all ,
setup a linksys wag45gs modem/router on my brothers pc , with aol , works great , the problem im having is that i also tried to connect my nephews pc using a wireless connection , his pc says strength is excellent and connected but i cannot view any web pages , keep getting the message that page could not be found , any ideas.
all help much appreciated
many thanks
mrmacca

mgmcc 22:43 24 Dec 2006

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

mrmacca 23:12 24 Dec 2006

hi ,
yes , the other pc actually finds the main pc and sets it all up , but it wont let me view the net , thanks for the reply.
dave

mgmcc 07:54 25 Dec 2006

In the "problem" PC, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all networking adapters installed in the PC. Right click in the Command Prompt window, "Select All" and press Enter to copy the details to the clipboard. Paste the details into a forum reply here.

mrmacca 17:25 27 Dec 2006

thanks for the help all soreted now

Britt 22:17 27 Dec 2006

i am having the exact same problem but when i took it to a friends house the laptop worked fine on their router...why?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?