getting new laptop

twicetwit 15:14 12 Jun 2007

I'm buying a laptop. the main thing i need it to do is Video Editing. Something that could possibly edit AVCHD (a high definition video format). I've read that a 2.4 'Core Duo 2' is recommended.

Well, having a quick look around, it seems that getting a 2.4 chip would break my budget of £750. The best spec machine I've found in this price zone is this - click here

Does the above sound good? Are Gateway a relieable make? Do you know a better deal, or know a good alternative?

wee eddie 15:31 12 Jun 2007

I'm no expert in the field of HD Video Editing, but a High End Graphics Card is always recommended.

There are 2 things that stand out as No-No's for this machine: Integrated Graphics and only an 160GB Hard Drive.

twicetwit 15:33 12 Jun 2007

oh heck! I never considered the graphics card!

Well, would it manage standard video fotage, MPEG2 footage??

skidzy 15:34 12 Jun 2007

Just had a look around and the deal you have found takes some beating.
However as Wee Eddie points out,look for a bigger Harddrive and certainly a good graphics card.

Problem you have,you get a lot more for your money with a desktop than a laptop.

For your requirements,i would hazzard a guess you need to spend around £1000+ realisticly about £1200...sorry :-(

skidzy 15:36 12 Jun 2007

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 6400 click here
and do a little video/photo editing on this but not a lot.Its ok and does the job,but nothing serious.

twicetwit 15:45 12 Jun 2007

Alright, thanks chaps. bit of a re-think needed, i think.

wee eddie 17:28 12 Jun 2007

Hope you find a solution

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?