Getting my recent documents in date order (XP)

John B 12:05 19 May 2004

I'm using windows XP professional and have 'my recent documents' on the start menu. It always lists them in alphabetical order, but I should like to arrange them chronologically (as with windows 98se). Is this possible please?

thanks

John

Stuartli 15:41 19 May 2004

Not true that Start>Documents are always in alphabetical order - you must have done a right click and then Sort By Name at some time; Sort By Name is also available in Programs, Favourites etc.

If you disable this it will only list the documents, files and other items used in the order they were undertaken.

John B 09:08 20 May 2004

I am not refering to 'My Documents', but to 'My Recent Documents' which are definitely in alphabetical order.

Thanks

John

Stuartli 09:25 20 May 2004

I also have XP Pro but use the Classic Start menu - it lists it as originally i.e. Documents.

These come up in, as you say, chronological order to the usual maximum of 15 - right clicking on it brings up a menu that includes Sort By Name, as with several MS features.

I still think you may have enabled this to have got them in alphabetical order, as Documents normally lists the most recent documents you have been using.

John B 10:26 20 May 2004

I'll have to have a play around with the settings. I don't use the classic start menu, perhaps that's the reason!

thanks

John

Sir Radfordin 10:36 20 May 2004

My recent documents are also listed in alphabetical order using XP style Start Menu. This is not something I have changed - took me long enough to work out how to get it!

It doesn't seem to be the most sensible thing, nor does it seem to add in recent documents until after you have closed the file.

Ah well...life goes on.

Stuartli 11:07 20 May 2004

The only thing I can suggest is that you go to the My Recent Documents right-click menu and click what you don't want in or, alternatively, go to the Advanced tab of Customise Start Menu and use the Clear List button - you can then start afresh.

Hopefully this will result in you having these shortcuts in chronological order from then on..:-)

Sir Radfordin 11:25 20 May 2004

Nope, they remain in alphabetical order even after clearing the list. Interestingly when you click 'clear list' on the advanced tab it also clears all the entries in the run command box. hmmm.

Stuartli 11:38 20 May 2004

Found this about the same thing:

click here

Stuartli 11:57 20 May 2004

..and this comment:

"Recent documents: This is really silly. On your computer, there's "Recent Documents." It tells you in reverse chronological order what you've been doing. You can get to it by Open/Recent Documents."

I looks as if the reason for reverse chronological order is due to the fact that each new entry is made at the bottom, rather than the top, of the listing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?