Getting my D-Link expander to use encrypted signal

pfgpowell 12:18 28 Apr 2009

Getting my DWL-G710 expander to encrypt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HI, I have straightforward set-up which works well - a Netgear wireless router/modem and, for upstairs a D-Link DWL-G710 expander/repeater to boost the signal. I have used this set-up for two years without hassle and the initial installation of the D-Link was a doddle.

A week of two ago, I realised neighbours might be using my wireless broadband because my usage has shot up. So I decided to encrypt the signal which was fine as far as doing the necessary on the router and our three laptops, but for the life of me I can't get the D-Link expander set-up to accept the encrypted signal, try as I might.

Can anyone set me straight? I tried all the obvious things on the relevant wizard page (called up on 192.168.0.30) but zilch results. Please help as I do want to encrypt the signal.

brundle 15:08 28 Apr 2009

What encryption method are you using? WEP, WPA, WPA2?

pfgpowell 15:20 28 Apr 2009

WEP. As say, setting up the Netgear is a cinch and I am issued with an encryption key which I input in the laptops. But inputting it in the DWL-G710 doesn't seem to do very much at all and I can't connect to the router.

brundle 15:42 28 Apr 2009

No MAC filtering enabled on the Netgear I take it? Is the D-Link assigned its own IP address when it's connected without encryption? Does its MAC address appear in the list of connected devices on the Netgear?

pfgpowell 16:09 28 Apr 2009

Ummm... I shan't pretend to loads of technical knowhow. Should I enable Mac filtering on the Netgear? I don't think the D-Link is assigned its on IP address. When I am home again, I shall check as to whether the D-Link's Mac address appears on the Netgear. Any other advice more than welcome.

brundle 16:15 28 Apr 2009

Don't add any more security until you've got somewhere with your current problem. I don't actually know if the extender should have it's own IP address - if it's just a simple repeater then it should only pass on the IP of the router providing the original wireless signal, but I would still expect to see its MAC address appearing in the Netgear devices list....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?