Getting IP address for my router...

DDragon 02:25 24 Apr 2010

Hey, I need to get my IP address for my wireless router, it is a Netcomm NB504 54mbs wireless router. normaly simple iknow but my entire network is set up thru a server and the server is acting router. i dont want to mess with my server settings as a mate set it up for me (cant get a hold of him atm thats why im on here) now i know the IP for the router isnt the default one i think i changed it (cant remember what to tho.) any ideas how ill get it?

Thanks DD

mgmcc 09:14 24 Apr 2010

Connect a computer (any computer) directly to one of the Wireless Router's LAN ports by ethernet cable. In the PC, open a Command Prompt window ("Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) then, at the prompt, type...

IPCONFIG /ALL

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters installed in the PC. In the Local Area Connection's details, look for the DEFAULT GATEWAY address - that's the Router's IP address.

DDragon 15:05 24 Apr 2010

i have thought of that but DHCP is disabled for the router as the server does all of that... would ipconfig /all still bring up the router as the default gateway?

mgmcc 07:36 25 Apr 2010

No, if DHCP has been disabled in the router, a computer connected directly to it won't get any addresses automatically.

Plan B: As DHCP has been disabled in the router, the server must have been configured manually with the relevant addresses. You should be able to find the Default Gateway address by running IPCONFIG /ALL in the server.

DDragon 11:36 25 Apr 2010

The way i have the server set is that it is the router and is the default gateway.... i use a USB Dongle to connect to the internet so it is plugged into the server... I dont know if it throws a spanner in the works or not... :S

mgmcc 12:08 25 Apr 2010

The server is functioning as a router and DHCP server for the computers connected to it, but it must be a secondary router to the main one which has the internet connection.

I don't know what subnets you're using but the main router could have an address such as 192.168.1.1 and the server have something like 192.168.1.2 as its WAN IP address. It will then use a different subnet for the LAN. It could have a LAN IP address of 192.168.0.1 and allocate addresses between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254

You should still be able to identify the addresses by running IPCONFIG /ALL in the server.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017