Getting a .co.uk domain

Linf5 15:39 26 Mar 2004

I'm sure this must have been answered before but I couldnt find it!

I have created a website and uploaded it onto my free webspace provided by my isp. However I want to get a .co.uk domain name for it and I am unsure where to get one from as there seem to be so many out there offering this serveice with differing price structures that I ended up getting a tad confused as to who would be best.

The site is for a small business consultancy and I preferably need to get the .co.uk from somebody who will also register it with common search engines.

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

jgosden 17:22 26 Mar 2004

you have two options here ,

either you could register the name at click here 1&1 (or somewhere else) and redirect to your site,

OR

host your site with a different company and move the site!!! click here click here
which will allow you to have yourname.com/yourfolder and would be much better for a business

whatsupdoc 18:15 26 Mar 2004

since being recommended by other forum members a few months ago I've bought around 25 names and I'm using 4 now . i just set up redirect for my free space and some friends free space. haven't had any probs and they answered an email today in 12 minutes.

Cam-330894 21:46 26 Mar 2004

I have had a problem with redirection - in the frame at the bottom of the web space it show the url of the free space try click here to see what I mean.
Was this just a quirk of using blueyonder?
I would suggest gettin the name and the hosting in one package from one company.
Good luck.

whatsupdoc 23:12 26 Mar 2004

to host a couple of sites as its cheap at around £3.00 per month. name and host is always better if you can afford it.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:51 26 Mar 2004

at 1and1, it's £1.99.

tbh72 00:23 27 Mar 2004

offer free registration of a .co.uk name with hosting packages starting from £19.99 / year. The entry level packages give you all you could need inc. e-mail etc....

click here

Linf5 13:18 27 Mar 2004

cheers i'll check those out

webber_man 13:29 29 Mar 2004

I have used click here (part of Host Europe) for years with no problems. Their prices for a .co.uk domain for 2 years, inc. VAT works out at £6.08.

As someone else has already mentioned all you then need to do is redirect your domain to point to your free webspace. 123-reg also allows you to submit your site to the 10 most popular search engines free and also has a lot of other bits n pieces for the price.

Totally recommend.

Also, if you're after cheap hosting then click here is the best and won an award in 2003 in the .Net magazine awards for best consumer hosting. For around £25 for 2 years you get the domain name of your choice (if its available) plus hosting. Superb value.

If you're using a website for business, you may need proper hosting rather than going for free space. But thats dependant on how many visitors you're getting, the type of files you need to host and various other things.

Worth considering though.

Alx 22:21 02 Apr 2004

Lycos also provide £1.99 .co.uk addresses but unlike 1&1 they also accept Solo Cards as payment.

BBez 23:56 02 Apr 2004

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?